Friday, May 20, 2016

Week of Learning 5/16

ABC Countdown:
We have had a great time with our countdown, especially with our game day today. :) 










Reading:
We read house books this week, plus one of my favorites-The Big Orange Splot because it teaches us to be unique and different!

Here we created and wrote about our dream houses.
Letters:
This week we learned about vowels, which have 2 sounds-long and short. To help, we made some neat trains! 


Math:
We continued learning about subtraction or taking things away. We practiced this week with manipulatives (pennies at school store and seeds for planting) and drawing pictures. 











 
We also learned about all the ways to BREAK numbers! It was so fun to see them figure out the patterns between making numbers (adding) and breaking numbers (subtraction). You got some smart kids!!! 






Here we practiced the counting up strategy to figure out how many cubes were behind our partners' back! The count up strategy is how you would solve this problem: I had 3 cookies. Then I bought some more cookies. Now I have 9 cookies. How many cookies did I buy? I would start and 3, count on my fingers up to 9 and realize that I have 6 fingers up so I bought 6 cookies.



Unit Study:
Since we are learning about butterfly and frog life cycles, we actually have caterpillars who spun chrysalises. 

Miss Alyssa also read us a great story about a polliwog and caterpillar and then we created the life cycle ! 
 




5MTOW:
Practice counting backwards from any number! This was still tricky on the SEAL assessment for  some kids. Take it a step further and count backwards in the 100s! ;)

No comments: